Hello everyone! We’re excited to show you the reveal of this multifunctional global office design! We had opportunity to design a custom bookcase as part of this custom build project. The unique thing about this room you might not know is that it has a murphy bed that transforms into a queen bed sleeping area.
Service: Full Service Design
About the Project: This is a multi-room project for a family building their custom dream home. They had lived around the world for many years and were back in Arlington, VA to settle down. They were referred to us by our other clients who live just down the road! We were honored to be part in creating their dream home.
Unique Elements of this Project
- During the first walkthrough, before drywall was up, we discussed potential ideas for the space and I noticed an opportunity to add a unique built-in bookcase on the right, which turned out to be a showstopper.
- Adding the emerald paint floor to ceiling (including baseboard and crown molding) gives it a seamless look.
- The fireplace is original to the house, but we selected new tile for the surround and hearth as well as helped the homeowners with the design elements of the rustic mantle.
- The homeowners already had the original painting above the fireplace that they purchased from their travels as well as the Persian rug, these pieces turned out to be perfect contrast to the emerald paint.
- The Murphy bed was added so the room functions as a guest bedroom for holidays when needed. It opens fully with a queen mattress.
- Many of the décor and accessories in the space are the homeowner’s from their travels around the world.
The first step in our design process is an Inspiration Board where we present a few inspiration ideas to our clients based on the online questionnaire they filled out and/or inspiration photos. From there, we collect detailed feedback from the clients and start fleshing out the design.
The next step is developing the Space Plan for the space. To begin, we drafted the layout with the desk centered in the room, as was the client’s preference, in front of the original fireplace. Afterwards, we added a reading chair in the corner and a custom built-in bookcase on the other corner. Moreover, they also wanted a Murphy bed to accommodate their parents during the holidays, which fit perfectly between the two side windows.
Next we start to work on our Design Concepts. This is where we source the products for the space. Based on the initial inspiration, we knew we were adding a deep moody color on the walls and we leaned towards a deep emerald. The clients were inspired to use their beautiful original art that had oranges and yellows that contrasted nicely with the deep green wall. They also had the beautiful Persian rug with coral tones. We added the rest of the elements including wood tones and pops of gold.
The clients had minor changes to the concept and then came to the final renders of the space.
The fully open Murphy bed!
We had the design approved and then handed off the plans to the contractors who installed the beautiful built-in bookcase in the corner as well as the decorative molding. Although they had doubts about painting the crown molding and baseboard in the same color as the wall, I’m glad they trusted our vision!
While the contractors worked, we placed orders for the products and prepared for the installation.
Finally, the Installation Day was scheduled after all the contractors were done and the products had arrived. We coordinated the installation by managing the delivery team and handyman. After that, the clients and our team added the rest of the art and decorative elements!
BEFORE AND AFTER
We don’t have any before pictures for this one since we worked off the floor plans for this custom build home. But the After is amazing!!
Book Design Services
Interested in updating your space to make it a more functional, fun, and cohesive space? Let’s work together to make it happen.
Better yet, book a call now, and let’s talk about how we can help with your interior design projects.