Have you ever bought a rug that was just way too small for your space? There is nothing more frustrating than rolling out a new rug only to find the sofa is bigger than the rug or the dining chairs legs hang off the end. Which is why one of the most important elements in choosing a rug is making sure it’s the right size for your space.
Be sure to check out our Choosing Rug Materials post for more details on selecting your perfect rug!
Let’s get started with the basics, most retailers sell rugs in about 5-6 common sizes. As a rule of thumb, our design team goes as large as possible with the rug as the space allows. This makes the space look better and ties everything together plus it adds great color, pattern and coziness.
The most common rug sizes:
5’ x 8’ – We use this size most often under small dining tables or in small spaces like an office.
6’ x 9’ – This is a great versatile size suitable for smaller living rooms or under a dining table or in a bedroom.
8’ x 10’ – A popular choice for living rooms and bedrooms, providing a balanced look with furniture placement.
9’ x 12’ or 10’ x14’ and larger – Perfect for spacious living rooms and bedrooms, these rugs can anchor the furniture and create a cohesive look.
Rug Placement Tips per Room:
The living room rug can set the stage for the design and we often build the room around the style, colors and pattern of the rug. Choosing the right size rug will make a huge difference in the effect it has on the overall design.
Tips for Standard Layouts:
- When choosing the size of a rug for a living room, make sure to have the front legs of the furniture on the rug.
- Aim to leave around 6″ to a foot of space on either side of the furniture on the rug.
- You can do this with any size living room space from small to large.
- Most small to standard living rooms will need a 6×9 or 8×10 rug size.
Medium Living Room Size
Small Living Room Size
Another Layout option
- Add an area rug that frames all the furniture inside the rug and leaving about 6”-12” behind the furniture on the rug.
- This is a good option when the furniture is in a large open space to create “zones”.
- With this option, you can also layer a smaller rug over a larger area rug for more dimension and texture, such as layering a colorful rug over a jute rug.
- Rugs that fit well with this layout are 9’ x 12’ & 10’ x14’ and custom sizes.
Large Living Room Size
Rugs for the bedroom add color and texture but also keep you warm and comfortable when stepping out of bed. It is ideal to have plenty of rug area on both sides of the bed and at the foot of the bed.
For King size beds:
- We normally prefer to use a 9’ x 12’ that way you have an ample 2’ to 3’ from the bed to step on if the room allows.
- An 8×10 rug will also work well.
9’x12’ area rug
For Queen Beds and Full beds:
- We recommend a 6’x9′ or 8’x10’ size depending on the size of the room.
- Another option could be placing 3’x5’ rugs each side of the bed.
Queen /Full 8×10’
Queen /Full 6’x9’
Source: Lulu and Georgia
Dining Room Tips:
- Frame the table with the rug ideally to have at least 24’’ to 28’’ around the sides to allow for the chairs to be pulled out.
- The best sizes for rugs in the dining room are 6’x9’ 8’x10’ & 9’x12’.
You can follow these guidelines according to the number of chairs on your table:
- Tables with 4 seats 6’x9’
- Tables with 6 seats 8’x10’
- Tables with 8 chairs or more 9’x12’
Additional dining room rug tips:
- Round dining tables benefit with either a round rug of a rectangle rug that is ample to the size of the table.
- If the dining table is extendable, we recommend to size the rug for the full size table whenever possible.
As you can see, choosing the right rug size for your space will make your space feel balanced, grounded and more cohesive. I hope this helps you along your rug searching journey!
If you’d like to see more interior decorating related content, be sure to join our Thrive at Home weekly newsletter. We send interior decorating tips regularly, along with exclusive offers and fun project reveals. We’d love for you to join our community.
And if you’d like help creating a cohesive, modern and colorful home interior, we’d LOVE to help you. Check out our virtual interior design services to learn more. Make sure to ask about our Purchasing Services to make your shopping experience easier.
For the DIYers that just need some design advice, validation or help making progress on your next steps, check out our Virtual Consultations where we work together on your project to get it done!
Until next time,
Founder and Lead Designer
Cristina Isabel Design
OTHER TOPICS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU……..
Rug Guide: Choosing Rug Materials